Saturday, July 01, 2006

That Wunnaful Wunnaful Sister Ray



I discovered the Velvet Underground in high school, which of course means that I attach more intense feelings and opinions about them than they probably deserve, and that I can't be impartial about them to this day.

So why don't I consider this dubbing on The Lawrence Welk show to be sacreligious?

Because it's too damn funny, that's why. And so well done - check out how closely the drum sound matches the drum visual at around the 1:50 mark.

My younger brother, a working musician who loves bands from the Who to Husker Du, is a big Lawrence Welk fan. There was a period when he didn't have a TV when he'd visit the parents around 4pm on Saturday so he could watch the show. The strange thing is, he did this without any sense of irony. I guess a good musician loves music, period.

Where can I get an orange jacket like that?

No comments: