Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Beatles Do Shakespeare



This clip, from the TV special Around the Beatles, shows the Beatles performing the play-within-play of Pyramus and Thisbe within A Midsummer Night's Dream. I saw a picture from this in Nicholas Schaffner's great book The Beatles Forever back when I was just a lad, but it's only due to YouTube that I (and now you) got to see the clip itself.

I don't know what's funnier - our first glimpse of John, or the first time we hear his Thisbe voice.

It's also rather remarkable that we can hear as much as we do. Listen close and you can hear a lot of "shhhhh"s and, at 5:00, 5:09, and 5:27, a few good "Shut up!"s. Not something you heard a lot at a Beatle performance, I'm betting.

2 comments:

Squelch said...

Best part: Paul, looking directly at the camera: "Now am I dead!"

ANOTHER CLUE!!!!

Steve said...

This is classic Patrick, nice find! I love the dancing too.

YouTube has got to be the coolest Web2.0 app out there.

Cheers!