Monday, July 03, 2006

Now, then. A count of ten.

There are times when you're watching something on TV and you know, you just know, that the people who created this were on drugs. Several Family Guy jokes come to mind. And so do several Sesame Street sketches.

One, which I've not seen for a good quarter-century-plus now, had several cracks in the wall becoming animated - who can forget the monkey singing, "Good day, good day, good day, I'm glad you came my way"? - and finding an evil crack that, in the middle of making threats, has several bits of paint flake away and turn it into a harmless, shapeless mass.

Well, YouTube doesn't have that one (yet). But it does have this:



I'll tell you, it's not the '70s special effects or the Residents-style music that gets me. Nor is the the rubber-band eyes switching places or the mouth nearly coming off in the 8 dot's wake.

It's That Voice.

The very definition of narcotic. Low, buzzed with cigarette smoke, each letter held just a fraction longer than it needs to be.

What's funny, is that all I can see while watching this today are the druggy overtones. But when I was a kid, it was just a part of the overall show, no different from any other count-along-with-me bit.

It's amazing what we don't question when we're learning.

No comments: