Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Yoohoo, breakeroo!

When I was in second grade, my dad sent away for and received a two-record set called Road Music. It had a couple dozen country songs about 18-wheelers and the men who drive them. There were some pretty good songs on there, including "Six Days on the Road" by Dave Dudley and "Phantom 309" by Red Sovine, later covered by Tom Waits.

My favorite, thought, was "CB Savage" by Rod Hart. He did it in a voice that, to an seven year old, was about the funniest thing ever. So much so that I made plans to take the album to show and tell. My folks wouldn't permit it. No amount of tears could change their mind. But I couldn't get them to explain why.

Looking back now, it's fairly evident. For one, there's the sturdy lass on the cover, who my brother later admitted brought him into puberty. For the other, I now understand that silly voice in "CB Savage" a lot better than I once did.

Listen for yourself and see how naive a second grader can be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was great! Your story, that is. The song is pretty rank.