Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Since 1884



Normally I wouldn't put a Bugs Bunny cartoon on MeTube, as experience has taught me it'll be taken off YouTube in a jiffy. But I had to put up Ballot Box Bunny here, not because it's one of the funniest Bugs/Yosemite Sam cartoons (was Sam ever louder?), nor because there's yet another appearance of Liszt's Second Hungarian Rhapsody on MeTube, but to point out the boxes behind Bugs as the ants take away his picnic food.

Yes, folks, Bugs Bunny drinks Moxie!



I used to enjoy subjecting people to their first taste of Moxie and recording their descriptions - my favorites were "rancid cough syrup" and "a Coke gone wrong." It's older than Coca-Cola and was once more popular; now it's more of a local favorite, but it's making an effort to go national once again. Last Sunday's Boston Globe had a nice article about it which you can read here.

Generally there are two reaction to drinking Moxie: either this...



...or this. (Wimp.)



Me, I brought two 2-liter bottles back from Maine the last time I went. It's definitely worth your while. (But stay away from the diet version.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you remember this, but at Colby if you were going to host a party you had to provide a non-alchoholic beverage. So, we bought a case of diet Moxie and brought it to every single party over the course of a year with out anyone ever once drinking a single can. Best $7.00 I ever spent.

Jim

Patrick said...

Jim, I knew the rule but didn't know about your little loophole; that's brilliant! It's true - a party really isn't a party without Moxie!