Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Once and Future King

"When its time for me to die, that's how I want to go;
fat and stoned and wealthy and sitting on the bowl."
- The Dead Milkmen, "Going to Graceland"


Today's the thirtieth anniversary of Elvis Presley's death, and I thought I'd commemorate that by showing people doing their level best to act like him.

First, here's Doug Church, considered the best Elvis impersonator alive, ripping up "Unchained Melody." (For the real deal, click here.)



Next we have Andy Kaufman. His Elvis is pretty well known, but this was a clip I hadn't seen before, of him doing "That's When Your Heartaches Begin" on a Johnny Cash Christmas special.



And speaking of Johnny Cash, here he is doing his best take on his Sun labelmate who did everything he could to woo away June Carter. (Imagine if that had worked...)



You know, sometimes these entries just write themselves.

No comments: