Thursday, August 10, 2006

Lou Reed Sells Out *snort*

You do a commercial, you're off the artistic roll call forever. Everything you say is suspect, and every word that comes out of your mouth is now like a turd falling into my drink. -- Bill Hicks


I have never seen [Jaws 4], but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific. -- Michael Caine


Welcome to the second of an ongoing series of big artists who decided to channel their creativity toward the art of the shill. Today's subject: Lou Reed, watching the wheels go round and making the art go Honda.



A tip of the hat to Zach in DCish for bringing this clip to my attention. To me, nothing says "tires" like a song about sadomasochism. Seriously, surrealism just doesn't work for me in advertisements. If you're going to try and sell me something I don't want, the least you can do is not fuck with my head.



See, this is how to do it. Cool song, the city captured in a couple dozen shots, and a Lou quote that fairly screams, "Okay, so I'm reduced to selling scooters - I'm still Lou Reed, and that's more than you've ever done, so shut up."

Attitude. Look for it at a Honda dealer near you.

3 comments:

CK said...

The Venus in Furs thing is just plain wierd, which probably makes Lou very happy. His whole career has been about selling you what you don't want, including 20 minutes of Sister Ray, and 1:16 hours of Metal Machine Music (like driving icicles through your ears).

Squelch said...

You must have been talking about some other Zach in DCish, right?

Patrick said...

My bad - it actually came from Paul in NJ.