Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Bill Hicks

Tonight I was shopping around YouTube for more clips for this blog (yes, there is a fair bit of research involved in bringing my thoughts to you, the viewer), and I discovered that the guy who supplied both the "drunk Andy Griffith" clip and the Woody/Billy exchange (which I posted just three days ago) had his account suspended, making his clips no longer available. So I hope you saw them, because the odds of seeing them again aren't too great.

With the gratification these clips offer being a little too instant for my liking, I find myself reluctant to post certain ones, as I'm secure in the knowledge that they won't be around for long. A great example is Warner Brothers cartoons - I had planned to post two of the most politically incorrect ones ever made, only to find they're not available anymore. Since they might sneak back on again, I'll withhold the titles, but it's a shame they can't be shared...

Another good example is the comedy of Bill Hicks. I've seen a lot of his clips on YouTube, and I've seen a lot of them disappear. But I decided to myself, the hell with it. If one person gets to see him who might not have otherwise, it was worth that brief shining moment.

So hear he is, the greatest comedian of the last quarter century, appearing on the Dennis Miller Show, doing some quality (if cleaned-up) work and taking an inadvertent swipe at Denis Leary at the end.

Enjoy it while it lasts. I know I did!

No comments: