Friday, August 25, 2006

Can I get a hell yeah, yeah, yeah

This is quite clever. It's a video for "Encore," a song from the Grey Album, which is a remix by DJ Danger Mouse, currently of Gnarls Barkley fame, of the Beatles' White Album and Jay-Z's Black Album. The video source: the legendary Hard Day's Night.

If I had to pick a favorite moment, it'd be at 1:33 when Ringo turns DJ.



I have to say, it's a shame the Beatles won't let their work be sampled. Sure, you run the risk of a "Super Freak"/"Can't Touch This" bit of thievery, but there's also the chance of genius, like what the Beastie Boys did to/for/with the Beatles on "The Sounds of Science." Copyright laws be damned, I think it's fine to sample - as long as you respect the source. As Dylan sang, "To live outside the law, you must be honest."

I guess you can't count on every sampler being so creative, and that it's easier to just say no to everybody. Still, I'd like to hear more transformed Beatle music. I'm hoping for an imminent release of the soundtrack for that Cirque du Soliel show, just to see what can be done to/for/with some of the best music of the 20th century.

No comments: