Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Words worth a thousand pictures

This has been making its way around the blogs; I first saw it on my friend Mike's blog.

Jarratt Moody, a student at the Savannah College of Arts and Design, had a "motion enhanced typography" assignment; take an audio clip and enhance it by only using words. He chose a minute from Pulp Fiction. This is the result.



People are either loving it or going out of their way to say it's nothing special (most of the latter weighing in on a graphic design blog). I think it's great - the power and intensity come across beautifully.

Now, here's where it gets interesting.



This was posted on YouTube back in May of last year. Nine months before Moody's clip.

Parallel thinking? Or theft?

I'm going on record as saying I don't think there was any copying or plagiarizing going on here. There's plenty of difference between the two clips. But I do find it remarkable that both people chose exactly the same sound bite. And I'd like to see either one of them tackle Joe Pesci's "How am I funny to you?" scene in Goodfellas.

No comments: