Sunday, February 18, 2007

Pistol Pete

I'm not much of a basketball person, but I thought I'd take this weekend of the NBA All-Star game to post a highlight reel that knocked me out.

Pete Maravich holds the record for most points scored in college; he racked up 3,667 in three years, an average of around 44 points a game - and that's before the three-pointer was invented. He went on to play 10 years in the NBA, and was recently named on of the NBA's 50 greatest players of all time. He did all this with only one coronary artery, a rare defect that led to his death at age 40 (most people with this defect rarely make it out of their teens).

Two biographies about Maravich have recently been released; I'm guessing these six and a half minutes will make you want to read them.



It's at about the two minute mark, where "La Grange" kicks in, that this really gets rolling. Passes behind the back, through the legs, no looking... I guarantee at least three "oh wow" moments. Particularly watch for the pass he makes about 25 seconds from the end of this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And not a single dunk to be seen. Nice clip - PN