Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"Easy" does it for me

Robert Altman died a year ago today. He'd been one of my favorite directors for almost two decades, and it was tough to let him go. All the things he's known for - overlapping dialogue, improvisation, curious moments of fun - appealed to me an awful lot. In his memory, here are a couple favorites.

First, the trailer for my personal favorite, The Long Goodbye, with Elliot Gould as Philip Marlowe, stuck in '70s LA. The title track's sung by the same guy who sings "Conjunction Junction."



Now the key scene in Altman's signature movie Nashville. Keith Carradine's performing a song, and three women think he's dedicating it to them - but a fourth, Lily Tomlin, knows it's aimed right at her. I recommend watching this full-screen, so you can see the emotional devastation move across her face.

No comments: