Wednesday, October 24, 2007

What's a good indie wedding song?

My friend John in LA is going to his brother's wedding in the not too distant future, and he sent me an email last night asking a favor. His brother was originally planning to have the first dance song be "California Stars" by Billy Bragg and Wilco.



Unfortunately, a buddy got married and used it first, and he doesn't want to follow in someone else's footsteps here. (Totally understandable, right?) So John asked me if I had any suggestions for something else, something "in the same vibe and feel."

I had a bunch of suggestions, my personal favorite being Nick Cave's "The Ship Song."



The jury's still very much out, though, and I wanted to throw this out to my readers. If anyone's got any good ideas for a first-dance song that's gentle, but has a little swing and pep, I'd love to hear them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My fiance found a good list here which has a bunch of indie wedding music suggestions
http://www.discjockeynyc.com/indie_wedding_music/

Patrick said...

Thanks very much, Greg - that's a good bunch of suggestions.

The wedding just took place, and I'm happy to say that the first song was one of my suggestions - Bright Eyes' "First Day Of My Life."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFS69nA-1w