Monday, March 26, 2007

Luuuuuuuu!

When I got my tax refund, I splurged and bought tickets for three different concerts; the first of these took place last night. We'll get to the next two over the course of the next couple of weeks, but for now, let's focus on Lucinda Williams.

Her show was great. She was sweetly tolerant of all the people yelling out requests ("It's nice that I've got so many songs to choose from..."), and showed a very dry sense of humor; talking about some of her favorite bluesmen, she mentioned the influence of Howlin' Wolf, Robert Johnson, and Jim Morrison. And the music was terrific - her guitarist, Doug Pettibone, had a solo in "These Three Days" that blew out the house.

Sad to say, I couldn't find that song on YouTube, but here are Williams and Pettibone doing "Joy" from one of the greatest Americana albums ever, Car Wheels on a Gravel Road. This is one that goes for the gut.

No comments: