Saturday, January 06, 2007

Knowing Is *laugh* The Battle

This is a long one, but believe me, it's worth your while.

Back in the '80s, GI Joe ran on Saturday mornings. These poorly animated cartoons concluded with public service announcements about a minute long, saying things like "don't play in old refrigerators" and "stay away from live wires."

Eric Fensler, a Chicago filmmaker, remixed about two dozen of these, recutting and overdubbing to make whole new animals. Hasbro made threats and Fensler took them off his site, but the toothpaste was out of the tube.

I can't post just one. I'm tempted to post them all, but I'll leave you to investigate here. These are best watched one right after another - the cumulative effect is that much funnier.

Here's "Carnival."



"Nosebleed."



"Body Massage."



"Porkchop Sandwiches."



"Mr. Laffitti."



And finally, my favorite, "I Just Wanna Ride My Motorcycle." Notice the incomplete steering wheel and the guy's mustache floating free as he says the last syllable, plus the kid whose shirt and race change from shot to shot. The monologue is transcribed in the comments section.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

"Now you listen to me, Aaron. You don't blow your money on those comic books, you understand? They don't do you a damned bit of good. And the nude mags, you're gonna be inheriting mine when you're 16 anyway. Now look, the junk food and the candy just rots your teeth, gives you bad breath and the girls run like hell. Stay the hell away from buying any rock TV shirts, or hip hop gear, or anything like that. Arcade games - pick out one that you can do, okay? ONE that you can do as opposed to a whole bunch of them that you don't know what the hell you're doing. Techno music just puts a hole in your brain -- are, are you listening to me? Look at me when I'm talking to you!"

Mike Daisey said...

Jesus, those are great