Friday, December 08, 2006

26 years ago today

Today's the anniversary of John Lennon's death.

I may have noted before that he's my favorite of the Fab Four, for his wit, his efforts at overcoming his faults (which he did have, don't forget), his kindnesses (the moment in the Imagine documentary where he invites an unbalanced homeless man into his house really did a number on me), and of course his music.

I remember my mom reading the Time magazine with him on the cover, under the headline "The Day The Music Died." I'm glad I wasn't a more devoted fan at the time; I don't know how I would've handled it.

Hopefully better than Paul did...



Okay, granted, it'd be torture to face to press and answer stupid questions after the person who's meant the most in your life was torn from you, but you've got to admit, it should be easy to do better than this. The last comment still haunts Paul to this day, only recently falling to second place on his list of regretted utterances (just behind saying "I do" to Heather Mills).

No comments: