Friday, February 22, 2008

And there's a law in New York State

This is my all-time favorite stand-up comedy routine, one which I can perform at the drop of a drunken hat. It's Woody Allen's "The Moose," performed here as I first heard it, on the album Standup Comic. The jokes, the pacing, the buildup - it's a masterpiece.



Now this is him doing the same routine in England in 1965, the same year as the above performance.



It's interesting - to me, at least - to hear the slight differences in emphasis, pacing, word choices. It seems more deliberate - I don't know if it's because of the different venue, different country or what. I'm so conditioned to the first one that I can't help but prefer it, but I wonder if an unbiased listener might get more of a kick from the latter. Your thoughts?

1 comment:

Jason Soto said...

Yeah, I like the first version better. It's much faster paced which makes it funnier to me.
-Jason